The African Responsible Tourism Awards are presented each year at WTM Africa. The awards were conceived as a way to celebrate the shining stars of responsible tourism on the African continent. But an aim of the awards is also to inspire change in the African tourism industry.
We are looking for practices and initiatives that will inspire others and that are replicable across the industry. Our ambition is to showcase great examples of responsible tourism in practice and to use them to educate others, including consumers, about what can be achieved. The awards is a challenge to others to do as well or better.
We recognise that achieving sustainability requires both innovation and applying best practices across a business or destination. We are also keen to see businesses and other tourism organisations which can report their initiatives and document their impact, both increasing positive economic, social and environmental impacts and by reducing negatives ones.
The 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards
The categories for the 2019 awards are:
- Best for Resource Management in Water or Waste
- Best Sustainable Event
- Best for Habitat and/or Species Conservation
- Best for Community Benefit
- Best Responsible Experience in Culture or Heritage
- Best Responsible Attraction
- Best Use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for Responsible Tourism
- Best for Global Goals Reporting
Nominations and applications for the 2019 awards will open in September 2018.
Sign up here to get notice of when ARTA19 is open for nominations and applications: