The 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards (#ARTA19) has moved into the second round in which 36 tourism organisations will compete for the top spots. Since 2015 the awards have recognised African organisations that offer a shining example of how tourism can benefit local people, the environment and destinations. The winners will be announced at a ceremony at WTM Africa in April.
The 2019 ARTA longlist
This year, the longlist names tourism organisations from Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Longlisted organisations compete in seven categories that focus on community benefits, conservation, resource management, attractions, events, cultural and heritage experiences, and the Global Goals.
The 2019 longlist for the African Responsible Tourism Awards is:
- !Khwa ttu San Culture and Education Centre (South Africa) @KhwattuSan
- 18 Gangster Museum (South Africa) @18_Gangstermuse
- Action for Fundamental Change & Development (Uganda) @AFFCAD
- All Out Africa (Swaziland) @ALLOUTAFRICA
- Anvil Bay (Mozambique) @Anvil_Bay
- BARSA Aviation Summit 2018 (South Africa)
- Basecamp Explorer (Kenya) @basecampexplore
- Cape Town Marathon (South Africa) @ctmarathon
- Davinci Hotel and Suites (South Africa) @davincihotelsa
- Dorobo Tours and Safaris (Tanzania) @dorobosafari
- Event Greening Forum 2018 Conference & Master Class (South Africa) @EventGreening
- GCIP-SA Annual Awards 2017 (South Africa) @CleantechSA
- Great Plains Conservation Sapi Reserve (Zimbabwe) @GreatPlainsCons
- Grootbos Private Nature Reserve (South Africa) @Grootbos
- Ultimate Safaris’ //HUAB Under Canvas (Namibia) @UltimateSafari1
- Kwalata Game Lodge (South Africa) @kwalatastweet
- LEO Africa (South Africa) @volunteerat_LEO
- Mdumbi Green Fair Festival (South Africa) @Mdumbi Green Fair
- Meetings Africa (South Africa)@SA_NCB
- MTN Bushfire (Swaziland) @MTN Bushfire
- Nature Discovery (Tanzania) @naturediscoverytanzania
- Ocean Blue Adventures (South Africa) @OceanBlueAdven
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy (Kenya) @OlPejeta
- Panthera Africa Big Cat Sanctuary (South Africa) @PantheraAfrica
- Planet Pilgrims (South Africa) @PlanetPilgrims
- Rhino Walking Safaris (South Africa) @RhinoPost @RhinoWalking
- SAACI Annual Congress 2018 (South Africa) @SAACIofficial
- Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (South Africa) @TableMountainCa
- Township Art Tours (South Africa) @townshiparttours.za
- Two Oceans Aquarium (South Africa) @2OceansAquarium
- Ultimate Safaris (Namibia) @UltimateSafari1
- Wildlife ACT (South Africa) @wildlifeact
- WOWZULU Inanda (South Africa) @wowzulu
- WOWZULU Isandlwana (South Africa) @wowzulu
- WOWZULU Khula Village (South Africa) @wowzulu
- Zara Tanzania Adventures (Tanzania) @ZARACharity1
Heidi van der Watt, founder of the African awards and director of Better Tourism Africa explains “The quality of entries which have made it through to the 2019 longlist confirms the power of responsible tourism as a force for development in Africa. Each one of these organisations is playing an important role in championing responsible tourism. We’ve reviewed the information from the entries, and are excited about the possibilities.”
Judging and the awards ceremony
Submissions from these longlisted organisations will now be rigorously questioned by the independent judging team. The judging team is made up of industry experts.
Chair of Judges, Professor Harold Goodwin says: “The field for the 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards is again an indication of the strength of responsible tourism in Africa! Entrants have already completed a detailed questionnaire. We’ll now take up references and make some inquiries. On judging day we’ll identify those that demonstrate the difference that taking responsibility can make, and have the capacity to educate and inspire others to be more responsible.”
The public can also offer support or otherwise for longlisted organisations by emailing email@example.com. Based on all the evidence, the judging team will debate the entries and select the shortlist and winners. The shortlist will be announced on 1 April 2019.
The 2019 African Responsible Tourism Awards winners will be announced at a ceremony to be held on Wednesday, 10 April 2019 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. The ceremony is part of the responsible tourism programme at WTM Africa, which takes place from 10 to 12 April 2019.