Following several requests from the tourism industry, the deadline for entries for the African Responsible Tourism Awards (#ARTA16) has been shifted on by one week.
The inaugural African Responsible Tourism Awards, held at in April 2015 during WTM Africa 2015, attracted 183 nominations from 16 African countries. Twelve tourism businesses from Africa were gold and silver winners in the 2015 World Responsible Tourism Awards at WTM London – several of these were category winners in the 2015 African round.
Better Tourism Africa, organisers of #ARTA16, hope that even more countries will be represented in this year’s awards. Says Heidi van der Watt, “Our communications campaign to encourage entries has targeted media and tourism organisations throughout Africa. The continent’s diversity of tourism products and developmental challenges that tourism can help address were foremost in our minds when we chose the nine categories in #ARTA16.”
The categories are:
1. Best for Beach Tourism
2. Best Contribution to Cultural Heritage Conservation
3. Best Hotel for Responsible Employment
4. Best Operator for People with Disabilities
5. Best for Poverty Reduction
6. Best Responsible Tourism Marketing Campaign
7. Best for Wildlife Conservation
8. Best for Public Sector Policy/Support
9. People’s Choice in Responsible Tourism
Entries can be submitted at http://www.africanresponsibletourismawards.com.
For media enquiries, please contact Heidi van der Watt at firstname.lastname@example.org